Last Updated on September 12, 2023
7. Root Beer Pulled Pork Crockpot Meal
I've never been much of a meat eater outside of chicken….until…. I discovered pulled pork! My husband cooks it in our smoker a few times a year, but I have to tell you, the process takes FOREVER, and you have to do some serious planning. Then, I learned that pork can also be tender and taste amazing in the crockpot. The idea of cooking it in root beer probably sounds a little odd, but it acts as a tenderizer and also adds a unique flavor. Undoubtedly, you have to give this one a try!
The root beer tenderizes the meat to perfection…
- 2 pounds pork butt or shoulder
- 1 (18oz) bottle BBQ sauce
- 1 can root beer
- sandwich buns (optional)
- Place the pork (about 2 pounds of pork butt or shoulder) in your slow cooker and pour the can of root beer on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours. You should be able to shred the meat easily with a fork when it's done. Check your meat after 4-5 hours to see the progress. You may need a little more or less than 6 hours depending on your slow cooker and the cut of meat.
- After your pork is done, drain the root beer and shred the pork with a fork or claws on a large plate or chopping block.
- Place the shredded pork back into your slow cooker and add about 18 ounces of your favorite BBQ sauce and stir to combine. Let warm for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve on hamburger buns or sandwich rolls. Add cheese and/or coleslaw if you'd like! This recipe serves about 8.
Mix together a little salt, pepper, and garlic and rub it on the meat before you add it to the slow cooker for a little extra kick!
You can also cook this pork with a can of Dr. Pepper, Coke or Pepsi, but the root beer is best in my opinion.