Ok, we all know that in order to burn fat like crazy you have to eat a clean diet and be really active, but usually, in order to stick to a low-calorie, healthy diet (boring!), it takes some major motivation, and often times a few tricks to help you control your appetite– we are all human, and most of the time just want to eat sandwiches and cookies! Will power alone is not enough.
I find that if I have a flavored drink that I can freely gulp on without any guilt, it distracts me from wanting a cocktail or bag of potato chips. I’m sure that you have heard that when you feel hungry, sometimes it’s that you are really just thirsty or bored. Very true! And, if you’re going to be gulping on water all day, you might as well infuse it with these naturally low calorie detox foods that are known to flush your system of toxins, boost your metabolism and improve your health.
I basically decided one day to infuse a large pitcher of water with some of the most commonly known detox foods, and so the experimenting began. This one is my favorite because it’s almost like drinking a meal but it’s low in calories and high in nutrition! It’s also very refreshing, and makes it easy to stay hydrated throughout the day.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclaimer Policy.
SERVINGS: 1 large pitcher (about 12 cups)
- 2 organic lemons
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen pineapple (organic if you can find it)
- 1 dozen organic mint leaves
- 1 large chunk of ginger (peeled)
- 2-4 tbsp organic 100% aloe vera juice
- Approximately 12 cups filtered water
- After washing, slice the lemons and cucumber into discs and add them to a large pitcher (I use a 3 quart pitcher).
- Cut a large chunk of peeled ginger (about the size of a Chapstick tube) into 3-5 pieces and muddle. Add it to the pitcher followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Fill the pitcher to the top with filtered water, and let it infuse for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator over night.
- Drink throughout the day as much as you would like. I prefer to pour mine over ice! Feel free to nibble on some of the fresh fruit and veggies too. The pitcher usually lasts me for a couple of days.
- Aloe vera juice provides a tremendous nutritional boost! It aides in digestion and liver function, reduces acidity in the body, supports your overall mood, and has many more health benefits! BUT, start off slow– some people are sensitive to it. As with anything else, moderation is key. AND, be sure that you’re using an organic 100% aloe vera juice. Read the label because some of them have unwanted additives.
- Sometimes the rind of the lemons can cause a little bit of a bitter taste to the water. I usually cut or peel off some of it before adding it to the water.
- The longer the water sits, the more flavorful it gets. In fact, by day two (if it lasts that long!) sometimes the flavor is a little too overwhelming for me, so I just add in a little additional water to my glass before drinking it.
- If you’re not a ginger fan, either leave it out or use less of it. Not everyone likes the flavor in their water as much as I do.