Hearing the words “Mom, will you please make these again” is music to my ears! Especially when I know the food I am placing in front of my family is made with real, nutritious foods that are fueling their body’s to be all that their Creator designed them to be. That’s the response I got from my 12-year-old son when I made these mashed potatoes.
Typically, when I make mashed potatoes, it’s the traditional peeled potatoes, almond milk, ghee or organic grass-fed butter with some salt and pepper, but I decided to venture out of my normal (who likes boring?) with these ultimate mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs. Russet Potatoes
- 6 oz. Kale
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut milk in a can
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. Ghee or Grass Fed Organic Butter
- First, peel and dice the potatoes into one-inch cubes. Rinse the cubes well in a colander, then place them in a large pot with water. Place the lid on the pot, bring it to a boil. Then, boil potatoes until they are very tender (10-15 minutes)
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain in the colander and let sit while you prepare the kale.
- Then, add the chopped kale, 1 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp water to the pot used to boil the potatoes. Then, season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté over medium heat just until wilted (3-5 minutes), then remove the kale from the pot.
- Next, return the drained potatoes to the pot, and add the ghee or grass-fed organic butter, coconut milk, dried parsley, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and cracked pepper. Mash the potatoes until smooth, and stir in sautéed kale.
- Time to serve them up!