- One large egg
- ½ shredded mozzarella (The “fancy” shredded cheese as it is grated much finer and mixes into the egg with more consistency of a waffle batter.)
- 1/2 tsp Grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Butter & sugar-free – low-calorie syrup
- Heat up your waffle iron and spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crack your egg and whisk it using use a fork or whisk
- Use a grater or zester to zest about 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest or more if you would like
- You don’t have to actually peel the orange for this breakfast recipe so you can have it as a snack later if you want.
- Add the zest to the whisked egg.
- Mix in a pinch or 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Add shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mix well
- Place half of the mixture into one side of the waffle iron. This mixture makes 2 regular sized waffles on a waffle iron that makes 4 waffles. (I’m pretty sure this was a wedding shower gift… so we are talking about my 14-year-old waffle iron) So, keep in mind depending on the size and shape of your waffle iron you might need to adjust how you add the batter.
- The chaffle batter should cover the designated space for 2 waffles.
- Use your spatula to spread the mixture evenly.
- Close the lid to your waffle iron. Let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Since the batter doesn’t rise like it would if it had flour in it you might want to flip your chaffle over to crisp up the top side more. This step really isn’t required but I found myself wanting it just a little crispier on the other side as well. The chaffle is easy to flip once it has been on the waffle iron for 2-3 minutes. So I flip it and close the lid for 1 minute more.
- Your chaffle should be golden brown.
I like to bring the egg to room temperature. When you Wisk an egg at room temperature is gets fluffier and I’m all about a fluffy waffle!
You should always wash your fruit. We will be using the zest of the orange peel so make sure you have washed that orange up before collecting the zest. Check out an easy fruit wash you can make right at home with products you probably already have.